1 CUP DRAINED CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
1 CUP DRAINED MANDARIN ORANGES
1 CUP COCONUT
1 CUP MINI MARSHMALLOWS
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
Directions: Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and chill.
6 CUPS WATER 4 CUPS SUGAR
5 MASHED BANANAS 4 Tbsp LEMON JUICE
2 LARGE CANS FROZEN O.J.
2 LARGE CANS WATER
1 LARGE CAN PINEAPPLE JUICE
1 TWO-LITER GINGER ALE
Directions: Boil water & sugar together for 3 minutes. Let chill; Combine all ingredients and freeze. Take out of freezer and let get mushy; add Ginger Ale, serve
QUICK & EASY SHRIMP CHOWDER
2 Tbsp butter 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 medium chopped onion 1 1/2 lb medium-size peeled shrimp
2- 10 1/2 oz cans cream of potato soup (undiluted)
3 1/2 Cups milk 1 Cup shredded Mont-Jack Cheese
Directions: Melt butter in Dutch Over over medium heat; add onion & saute 8 minutes (until tender). Stir in potato soup, milk and pepper. Bring to boil. Add shrimp; reduce heat and simmer, stir often, 5 minutes (just until the shrimp turn pink) Stir in cheese until melted. Makes 12 Cups.
PULLED PORK BBQ
2-3 lbs boneless pork roast 1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Cups Water 1/4 cup sweet mesquite seasoning
12 oz can root beer 1-2 Cup BBQ sauce 1 Tbsp beef bouillon
Directions: Combine water, root beer, beef bouillon, minced garlic and mesquite seasoning in bowl. Put pork in crock pot. Pour liquid mixture over the top. Cook on low for 7-8 hours; or high for 4-5 hours. Drain the liquid from crock pot. Remove any large pieces of fat. Shred pork using two forks. Add desired amount of BBQ sauce to the pork and mix.
It’s HOT and HUMID – – – – – -Get Hydrated – Stay Hydrated
|Help Your Loved One Drink More Water
Nutritionists recommend that seniors drink two liters of water every day. If you are concerned that you or a loved one is not drinking enough water, here are some ideas that encourage hydration:
Carry a bottle of water with you at all times. Choose water when dining out instead of other beverages to save money and drink more water. Download an app to track your water intake. Drink a glass of water before each meal or snack. Make your own flavored water.
Making your own flavored water is a great way to stay hydrated. It is all-natural, fresh, easy and nutritious.
Strawberry Lemon Basil Water
Fill a pitcher to the top with ice and fruit. Slightly scrunch up the basil and cover with cold filtered water. Let the water infuse at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Watermelon Mint Water
Add melon and mint to a pitcher and then fill with water. Allow fruit to soak for 2-8 hours in the fridge.
Thank You – Senior Living Blog for these great recipes!!
|Blueberry Orange Water
Rosemary Grapefruit Water
½ grapefruit, Several sprigs of Rosemary, Water, Ice
Add ingredients to the bottom of a pitcher. Cover with water. Let sit overnight and enjoy the next day.
Kiwi Cucumber Agua Fresca
Place the kiwi, cucumber, sweetener and 2 cups of water in a blender and puree until smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a pitcher and stir in the remaining 4 cups of water. Serve chilled over ice. Garnish with kiwi sliced.
|Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken
2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans
1 (15 ounce) can hominy or 1 (15 ounce) can white corn
1 (1 ¼ ounce) envelope taco seasoning
1 (4 ½ ounce) can of chopped green chilies
1 (10 ¾ ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1⁄2 cup sour cream
chopped green onion (optional)
monterey jack cheese (optional)
1. Place chicken in a 4 quart slow cooker.
2. Top with beans and corn.
3. In a medium bowl, combine taco seasoning, chiles, condensed soup, and chicken broth. Pour over top of ingredients in the crock pot.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
5. Before serving, stir gently to break up chicken, then stir in the sour cream.
6. Serve topped with green onions and jack cheese, if desired.
|Chicken & Stuffing – in the crockpot
4 chicken breasts
6 oz Box Stove Top Stuffing
1 Cup of Chicken Broth
4 slice of white American cheese
1-10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1-10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
¼ cup of milk
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a bowl mix stuffing and broth together and set aside.
2. Place pieces of chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker
3. Pour soup over chicken and spread evenly.
4. Once stuffing has absorbed all of the chicken broth pour evenly on top.
5. Cover with lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours
|Greek Style Oven Potatoes
3 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges (about 6-7 wedges per potato)
1 Tbsp garlic cloves, mince
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
¼ cup of butter, melted
1 tsp of oregano
fresh coarse ground black pepper
2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1tsp of chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Put all the ingredients into a baking pan large enough to hold them, except parmesan cheese and half of the oregano.
3. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Make sure your hands are very clean and put them in the pan and give everything a toss to distribute.
5. Cover with foil & bake for 40 minutes covered.
6. When a nice golden-brown crust has formed on the potatoes, give them a stir to bring the white underside up, season lightly with a bit more sea salt and pepper and sprinkle with oregano and parmesan cheese.
7. Add ½ cup more water if pan appears to be getting dry, and pop back into oven to brown other side of potatoes.
8. This will take about another 30 minutes.
9. Do not be afraid of overcooking the potatoes- they will be delicious.
|Nana’s Corn Puddin’
1 can of cream corn
1 cup of whole milk
1 can of evaporated milk
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of flour
4 tablespoon of butter
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs that have been beaten by hand. Add cream corn, whole milk and sugar, stirring after each ingredient is added. In a separate bowl, mix can milk with 1 teaspoon of flour until smooth. Pour flour and milk mixture in with the other ingredients, mix well. Pour into baking dish. Melt butter and pour over mixture, for browning. Set dish in pan of water. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 or until top is golden.
|Fiesta chicken corn chowder
Y’all, this recipe is super simple and pretty dang delicious. My family and friends all love it and have been asking for the recipe. So here it is! The great thing about this recipe is that since there are so many varieties of Ro*Tel tomatoes, you can make it as mild or as spicy as you want. I used the “mild” version and there was little heat at all. But they offer a “milder” version if you want to be sure there is no spiciness or you can crank it way up with the habanero version. It’s up to you! Y’all enjoy!
4 cups chicken broth
16 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed
2 – 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
2 – 10 oz cans Ro*Tel tomatoes and chiles
2- 10.75 oz. can cream of potato
1 Small jar of salsa
2 cans cream corn
2 can whole kernel corn drained
1 envelope of original taco seasoning
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
7 small potatoes peeled, diced & boiled until tender
8 ozs of sour cream
In a large pot, heat broth until boiling. Add potatoes and taco seasoning allow to boil for @30 minutes, then add salsa, corn, Ro*Tel and chicken reduce and let simmer for 15 minutes. Then add cream of chicken and cream of potato, allow to melt down then a Velveeta cheese. Stir until everything is melted, being careful to keep heat low enough to not scorch to cheese. Finally add sour cream and enjoy. My family loves this served with cornbread.
1-14 oz. can whole or diced tomatoes, juice and all.
medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove stem and chop, seeds and all)
1 tbsp minced onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (more or less depending on taste)
½ tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste (@ ¼ tsp)
Put all ingredients in blender. Pulse until well blended and tomatoes are broken up. Don’t over blend. Salsa should be chunky when done. Chill and serve with corn tortilla chips.
Chicken Fajita Queso Dip
2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp of butter
1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix
1 lb (16 oz) Velveeta®, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
Tortilla chips or assorted vegetables, optional
Add onion and bell pepper to skillet with butter; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and fajita seasoning; stir to combine. Cook 1 minute or until chicken is hot. Remove from heat; set aside.
Combine Velveeta and undrained tomatoes in 1 ½ -quart microwave-safe dish; cover. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or just until Velveeta melts, stirring after 3 minutes. Remove from microwave; stir until mixture is blended.
Add chicken mixture to Velveeta mixture; stir to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or assorted vegetables, if desired
3- 8 ounce packages buttermilk biscuits
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
½ cup packed brown sugar
1. Prepare Bundt pan by heavily greasing with butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut each biscuit into four equal sized pieces.
3. Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl or plastic bag. Drop roll the pieces of dough in the sugar cinnamon mixture and gently arrange them into the prepared Bundt pan.
4. In a small sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of the remaining sugar cinnamon mixture with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup butter. Bring mixture just to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Carefully drizzle the mixture over the rolled dough balls in the Bundt pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. This time may vary depending on oven and pan used. Continue cooking until tops are starting to crisp and turn golden brown.
6. Allow pan to rest for about 5 minutes, then cover with a large plate and invert bread. To eat, pull desired amount off with your fingers and enjoy
|Cinnamon Roll Casserole
Butter or cooking spray, for baking dish
3 cans refrigerated cinnamon rolls (such as Pillsbury)
4 large eggs
1 c. whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Maple syrup, for serving (optional
1. Preheat oven to 325° and grease a glass baking dish. Cut cinnamon rolls into thirds and layer in dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over cinnamon rolls and bake until egg is cooked through and cinnamon rolls are deeply golden, 20 to 22 minutes.
Let cool about 10 minutes, then drizzle with cinnamon roll icing and pour over maple syrup (if using)
|Italian Cream Cake
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
5 eggs (separated)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cream
1 cup of chopped walnuts
½ cup chopped walnuts- for topping
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut- for topping
½ cup butter
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together 1 ½ cup butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk mixture, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup coconut, 1 cup of walnuts, baking powder and flour. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, ½ cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Mix in a small amount of cream to attain the desired consistency. Stir in chopped nuts and remaining flaked coconut. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.
|Nana’s Orange Cranberry Cake
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel, divided
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups Daisy Sour Cream, divided
1 1/3 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen), coarsely chopped
1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 12 cup Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray with flour. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl. Beat the sugar, butter and 1 tablespoon orange peel in a large bowl at medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating at low speed until well-blended. Beat in the flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with 1 ¼ cup sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the cranberries. Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top.
Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then invert the cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely. Whisk 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar, ¼ cup sour cream, and ½ teaspoon orange peel in a medium bowl, adding the additional ¼ cup powdered sugar if necessary, to reach the desired glaze consistency. Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set. Decorate as desire
|The Original Fantasy Fudge
3 cups white sugar
¾ cup margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow crème
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
2. Mix sugar, margarine, and evaporated milk in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and thoroughly combined. Beat in marshmallow creme, walnuts, and vanilla extract. Transfer fudge to the prepared pan and let cool before cutting into squares.
1 (21.5 ounce) package brownie mix
6 graham crackers
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
8 (1.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Spread into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, break graham crackers into 1-inch pieces and toss with miniature marshmallows and milk chocolate. Set s’more mixture aside.
3. Bake brownies for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and sprinkle the s’more goodies evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool before cutting into squares.